Financial difficulty

Individuals and small businesses can ask their financial services provider for assistance where, for a short period of time, they are unable to meet their repayments under a credit facility (such as a credit card, personal loan, home loan or business facility). This might include a request to change the repayments under the credit contract for a period of time.

If a financial services provider will not agree to a reasonable request for assistance then the Ombudsman has power to review that decision. In some cases we can require a financial services provider to change the terms of a credit contract.

The FOS Approach to financial difficulty

Information for consumers in financial difficulty

Information for consumer representatives and financial services providers about resolving financial difficulty disputes


You may also like to read the following articles for further information:

Debt collection and social security recipients

Secured debts and shortfall issues

Customers in financial difficulty and lenders mortgage insurers

Natural disasters: Are you experiencing financial difficulty?

When FSPs must stop enforcement action


Small business
If you are a small business or deal with small businesses, you may find the following article useful: Dealing with customers in financial difficulty: small business

The Financial Ombudsman Service offers telephone conciliation conferences to help resolve disputes. Guide to conciliation conferences

Statement of income and liabilities to support a dispute lodged with us by a consumer in financial difficulty: Statement of financial position